If you love the sweet taste of tres leches cake but can't tolerate the lactose in whole milk, heavy cream or evaporated milk, try coconut milk instead. Coconut milk is a lactose-free ingredient you can use instead of the dairy ingredients found in Mexican desserts like tres leches. Lactose can irritate your digestive system by causing diarrhea, upset stomach, and gas. Coconut milk adds a unique flavor to your desserts. It also contains valuable nutrients, such as vitamin C and lauric acid, that promote a healthy immune system and other health benefits. Here are the ingredients and steps you need to make your lactose-free tres leches.
Get Your Ingredients
To get started, you'll need to purchase one 64-ounce container of sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk from your local grocery store. If you don't plan to add a lot of sugar in your cake, select the sweetened coconut milk. You'll also need:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 grated cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups of non-dairy whipped cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 teaspoons of melted coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of clear vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar, if needed
- 2 cup of coconut milk
You're ready to move the next steps below.
Prepare And Bake Your Dessert
Preheat your oven to the recommended temperature of 350 degrees, then coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Now, follow these steps:
- Place your flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl and use a fork to blend the ingredients together.
- Place eggs, vanilla extract, coconut milk and oil in a separate bowl, then beat with a fork until frothy. You can add the sugar if you wish to do so.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl, then beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the batter into your cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cake appears light brown or golden on the surface. You can use a toothpick to see if the cake's done.
Remove your cake from the oven, then set it on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes. The time may vary, so check the cake often. After the cake cools down, pour 1/2 cup of coconut milk over it. Cover the cake with whipped cream and cinnamon. Serve alone or with your favorite Mexican dish.
Don't forget to visit your local Mexican restaurant for more meal ideas. Consider checking out places like Lares Restaurant in the future.Share